“Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” – Aristotle
Skill is an ability and capacity acquired through deliberate, systematic, and sustained effort to smoothly and adaptively carryout complex activities or job functions involving ideas (cognitive skills), things (technical skills), and/or people (interpersonal skills).
Training is teaching, or developing in oneself or others, any skills and knowledge that relate to specific useful competencies. Training has specific goals of improving one’s capability, capacity, productivity and performance. It forms the core of apprenticeships and provides the backbone of content at relevant institutes. In addition to the basic training required for a trade, occupation or profession, observers of the labour-market recognize as of 2008 the need to continue training beyond initial qualifications: to maintain, upgrade and update skills throughout working life. People within many professions and occupations may refer to this sort of training as professional development.
The five steps in teaching an employee new skills are preparation, explanation, showing, observation and supervision.
SPADE in Skill Training
- In 2016, under Ambedkar Hastshilp Vikas Yojana SPADE conducted training Program for Skill Up-gradation of the Artisans of Bamboo Craft at Balarampur Block of Purulia district.
- Since 2014, provided 78 Days Skill Training on Tailoring to 60 participants from Purba Medinipur and Purulia districts.
- Conducted One Day Interactive Seminars on Sales and Marketing in Howrah, Hooghly, Nadia, Purba Medinipur, Burdwan, Murshidabad, Malda, Uttar Dinajpur, Dakshin Dinajpur, Jalpaiguri, Coochbihar, Alipurduar and Darjiling districts and have so far covered 1201 participants.
- Provided Goat Rearing Training – each one of 20 days duration at Purulia, Bankura, Jalpaiguri and Alipurduar districts supported by West Bengal Swarojgar Corporation Ltd., Govt. of West Bengal Undertaking and had already covered 1470 participants.
- During 2009 to 2010, conducted Skill training of 50 women artisans on Zari and Patch work under the SWABALAMBAN Project of State Social Welfare Board, Govt. of West Bengal at Nabadwip Block of Nadia district
- During 2012 to 2014, conducted 4 Skill Development Trainings, each one of which was of one month’s duration for the Bamboo Fiber Artisans supported by District Industrial Center, Murshidabad.
- In August, 2009 training and handholding on Promotion of Kitchen Garden at every Household of Amlasol Village for assuring Food Security of the Savar (a primitive) and Munda Communities under Binpur – II Block, West Medinipur.
- In 2016, Conducting a 3 Months Tailoring Training for SHG members at Balarampur Block of Purulia district supported by Swarojgar Corporation under SHG SE Ministry.
- From 2015 under CSR of Tata Power Community Development Trust, Skill Development and Income Generation Programme for Women and Men is going on. Under this project Skill Training on various farm and small & micro business level of Non Farm based activity like Tailoring, Zari Craft, Vegetable cultivation is going on.